PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, August 24, 2009

Playlist Update

Last week I started listening to music at work. It's the first time I've tried it on a regular basis. Until now, I've avoided music altogether because I didn't want to have to veto most of the songs requested/brought in by the tweens I work with.

It all started in one of my desperate forays into our little town library. I found four CDs that I couldn't resist.

Billboard Top Hits 1975 -- 1979 (I know that's 5 CDs, but, actually, 1977 is awol so it wasn't really an option)

I checked them out on a whim more than anything else.

And...I've loved listening to them! For instance, right now Abba's Take a Chance On Me is playing. And I just sang along to Dream Weaver by Gary Wright and I Go Crazy by Paul Davis.

Oh man. What about Reminiscing by Little River Band?!

More surprising than my own enjoyment is the fact that the tweens recognize and LIKE some of the songs too. When pressed, they'll say, "Oh, it's on a commercial," or "It's in that one movie."

Maybe I like the CDs so much because because I grew up listening to those songs. To be frank, on most days you'll catch me avoiding 70's music. I hardly ever dredge it up from the depths of my ipod playlists.

But this time...
It's just, once I started listening it brought back, well, not really memories per say...more a feeling. The songs feel comfortable, familiar, safe--like an old friend.

P.S. Um, the music videos, well, they don't convey that same feeling. The Abba one made me snicker and possibly roll my eyes at the awful 70's clothing and the hazy lighting (does that really make women more attractive? I've gotta ask The Rock about that). That doesn't change the fact that the song is AWESOME! --Lu

2 comments:

Lora:) said...

Ooh, where do you work? Sounds like things are going well for you. Take care!

Lu and Moo said...

top secret and all...ok, actually, it's the youth center for The FP. We play four square and monopoly and uno and...hang out. And sometimes, I get to read (sigh of bliss).