PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, August 10, 2009

Can't Wait

I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. The book is wonderful!

I'll quote the jacket blurb because it's much too late to think of a coherent summary myself:
"January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she'd never met, a native of Guernsey, the British island once occupied by the Nazis."

The book is written as a collection of letters which makes for difficult reading at first, because the characters reference things you know nothing about, but...stick with it. All will be explained.

The post script to the first letter told me that I would almost certainly love this book, so I'll share it with you. The letter is written by the heroine, Juliet Ashton: "I'm reading the collected correspondence of Mrs. Montagu. Do you know what that dismal woman wrote to Jane Carlyle? 'My dear little Jane, everybody is born with a vocation, and yours is to write charming little notes.' I hope Jane spat on her."

A heroine with that kind of personality gets bonus points! And I can't write about my favorite parts of the book without revealing too much. We'll just have to discuss them after you've read it.
--Lu

1 comment:

Usandthings said...

I also loved this book. As I said to Bridget, I'm glad you liked it because that means we can stay friends.